Monday, August 12, 2013

2013 Rio Grande 5K Run

When I returned from my trip, I wanted to get back to running and eating right.  I didn't.  I procrastinated with my running and my eating.  I signed up for the 5K run and was going to run last Tuesday to "get back into it", but instead I woke up with a REALLY bad back.  I have had back problems since I fell in 1980 in August.  When I went back to work after having Jessi, I had major knee and hip pain so I went to see a chiropractor.  I've been going back to the chiropractor a couple of times a year since then.  

This time I went two days in a row and I still didn't feel right.  I heard of a Christian related office that advertises a "whole" person approach, so I thought; why not?  I called them and started on Thursday with a video of movement, x-rays and some time talking with the dr about my back.  When I went back the next day for my first adjustment I was still walking strange.  Looking at the x-rays my spine looks like someone tried to draw a straight line without a ruler!  My neck is totally straight, no curve at all.  All that carrying mail did not help my spine at all.  But we knew that.  My video shows limited movement in the upper back and stiffness in my leg and core muscles.  

He adjusted me using the Palmer method of laying face down and using pressure to move the joints back into place.  What a difference from the laying on the side and jerking me into place.  I actually walked better when I left the office.  

So............I went to my 5K not knowing how I would do.  I felt okay that morning.  I had one cup of coffee, my vitamins, a small smoothie with one scoop of protein and greek yogurt.  I was worried about having to make a pit stop, but I didn't.  Yay!  I came in 5th out of 5 in my age group.  40:33 was my time.  This was actually a personal best, so I am proud of myself for hanging in there.  Who knows how I would have done with some actual training!  

There wasn't as many people in this run as I am used to seeing, so for a while I was really all alone on the road.  I had to run across Bridge while the police held the traffic for me all by myself and I felt that I should speed up, so I did.  I could feel my muscles kick in and pick up the speed which is a weird feeling.  Don't know how much faster I went..... probably not enough for anyone watching to notice, but I did feel it.  

Then I went to work and it was really busy!  I clocked in at 15 activity points on my weight watchers active link.  That again was a personal best!  This morning my hip joints are a little sore.  I will take it easy for a couple of days and go work out on Weds.  I am going to see the chiropractor three times this week and next and also go through some therapy to improve my mobility.  They will work on my core muscles and my leg flexibility   That should enable me to move more freely and maybe keep my back from "going out" every time I run. 

If I can get my back from giving me problems my goal in the next year is to run a 10K and maybe do a half-marathon by the time I am 60.  Wouldn't that be something!  











No comments:

Post a Comment